When preparing to make a home renovation project, one of the first important decisions you’ll be faced with is selecting the right bid. To ensure you make the best possible choice, there are five tips you should follow as you proceed:
1. Become comfortable with the overall cost. Homeowners may receive bids that are thousands of dollars apart and will often choose the one which will cost them the least. However, this is not always the best way to proceed. When it comes to remodeling projects, you usually get what you pay for. At very least, you should always look at what the other bids offer beyond just considering how they’ll impact your wallet.
2. Vet the contractor. There are several ways of doing this. Whatever you do, it’s essential that you determine whether the contractor’s skillset extends into what your project will require. The project you’re getting bids on should be something the contractor has experience with.
3. Compare apples to apples. If you receive three bids, the minimum advisable number, and one contains very little detail, don’t feel bad about asking the contractor to expound. Comparing similar details between each bid will be the key to choosing the one that best fits your needs.
4. Set up financial motivation for the contractor. Unfortunately, renovation projects don’t happen for free. Your contractor will want some compensation up front, but will also expect additional payment as their work continues. Writing performance clauses into the agreement you and the contractor come up with will be a simple way to protect you from the pain of a random payment schedule.
5. Make sure you understand what’s going on. Keeping a close eye on your project is important. Don’t be afraid to speak up, or terminate your working relationship, if the contractor isn’t performing as they should.
If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.